Become an MOT Tester with LKQ Academy Training
How do you become an MOT tester?
A nominated tester (NT) is qualified to carry out MOT Tests.
To gain your MOT License, you will firstly have to meet the eligibility criteria set by the DVSA as well as pass a recognised level 3 pre-entry qualification. Next you will have to pass the Award in MOT Testing and then finally pass a VT8 demo MOT test observed by the DVSA.
After you have qualified, you will then need to complete the MOT annual training and pass an annual assessment every year to maintain your testing status.
Are you eligible to become a MOT Tester?
To carry out MOT Tests you must be an approved nominated tester (NT). To be eligible to become a nominated tester you must:
- have a current and full UK driving licence for the vehicle classes you want to test
- be a skilled mechanic with at least 4 years’ full-time employment servicing and repairing the types of vehicles you’re going to test
- have no unspent convictions for criminal offences
- be ‘of good repute’ – the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency will decide this to make sure you’re suitable to be an MOT tester
To become a class 3 or 5 MOT tester you must also have already:
- got a level 2 testing certificate in class 4 and 7 vehicles (group B)
- passed an MOT demonstration test after getting your level 2 certificate
You must have an accepted qualification or accreditation if you want to test class 3, 4, 5 or 7 vehicles (cars, private buses and light commercial vehicles).
There are four main steps to become an MOT Tester:
STEP 1 Pass a Level 3 Pre-Entry Accreditation recognised by DVSA
STEP 2 Pass the Level 2 Award in MOT Testing Certificate
STEP 3 Pass the DVSA VT8 Observation at your own VTS
Once you have qualified, you’ll need to do your Annual Training and pass an Annual Assessment each year, this is available from your local LKQ Euro Car Parts.
If you would like to apply to attend an MOT Tester course for Class 4 & 7 or Class 1 & 2 please click here and have a look at the available locations across the UK that you can book to attend through LKQ Euro Car Parts via Auto Education Academy.